There are two different types of hosting services that you would come across. One is shared hosting where you have multiple websites using a single server. For example, if you were to opt for shared hosting, several other websites would also be using the same servers as yours. The other is dedicated hosting in which, as the name suggests, servers are dedicated to specific websites or businesses. But how do you determine which one you need? Here’s some information on both that will help you decide.
Shared Hosting Servers
Shared hosting is a service consisting of servers located in a physically secure location. Each server provides hosting services to several businesses at once. Each website or business has an independent domain name but they are all using a single web server.
- Shared hosting is affordable. The operating costs divide, as multiple businesses use one server.
- The operation of servers used by shared hosting providers does not require high-end technical skills.
- As the servers are shared, bandwidth is limited. Hence, a heavy surge might result in downtime.
- Although the servers are highly secure, malicious websites and hackers pose a threat to other websites on the same server.
Dedicated hosting providers offer independent servers for every website. The user of the server has full fledge control over it with no interruptions or lag. Additionally, they can be tweaked and optimized according to the business’s use. The security, performance, and layout can all be set accordingly.
- High performance due to uninterrupted access.
- Extremely high and complicated security.
- Increased control and adaptability.
- More expensive than shared servers.
- The usage of an independent server requires technical expertise.
What to choose?
It all really depends on the size of your business, the traffic, and the website. If you are a small business or an independent entrepreneur, shared hosting would suit you best. However, if your website has a heavy flow of traffic and your business requires constant uptime, a dedicated hosting service will best serve your purpose. Whichever you choose, ensure that you list down your needs before taking a final decision so make a wise investment.